The personal set of 4 ‘Menu cards’ painted and owned by FP Hopkins (Major S) ca. 1890.
The use of menu cards was somewhat common in Britain, as those serving a meal would use them to list the menu for the meal, and place one in front of each guest.
Hopkins used fine beveled slates of milk glass on which he painted various scenes of golf at his club, Royal North Devon Golf Club- ‘Westward Ho!’ Rack ‘card’ measures 4″X 6″. The blank areas were left to list the menu in dark pencil.
The cards were stored in a specially made wooden box between used.
See the following item listed here, as Old Golf Shop has one of these cards available, including the storage box.
This is a rare opportunity to own a piece of Hopkin’s life, as two of the others are now in permanent museum collections, and the other in a private collection on the US.
This piece has been framed for display and preservation